It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem Scanning Files On Network Drive
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:25 pm 

Having massive problems getting music scanned from my network drive..

Have a 120gb Fat32 drive connected via a thomson router.. fixed IP addy, and can access all files and folders no problem at all through windows explorer. The Drive is mapped as Z:

Windows media player is able to scan the drive no problem at all, and locate ALL media files... Mediamonkey is also able to find everything no problem at all..

Album Player is missing vast chunks, and there doesnt seem to be any logic to it.. strangely MP3Toys another peice of software makes even more of a mess and that gives you an explorer view which has half the folder missing..

i can add the albums singly, but with 500+ albums thats impossible when more than 200 of them are not scanned..

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:45 am 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Are you sure that the files are not found or are they added to the wrong albums may be?

Some questions:
1. What AP version do you use V5.0 or V5.1 beta 5?
2. In the new files found dialog, do you use directory names as base to determine albums or do you use the tags for that?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:53 am 

v5.0 demo edition...
Was mainly trying it out because mp3toys was having a horrendous time scanning network files so was looking for an alternative...

Ok.. scan with WMP11 last night, 4500 fies in one of the folders...
folders ordered Bands>Band Name>Album Name
there are then Male Artists, sections etc etc

Album Player finds 291 tracks.. and what it finds seems pretty random as it finds albums by Ash, The Beatles, Oysterband, Nirvana and Bleeding Hearts so its not just finding a few and hitting a glitch..

Ive tried scanning in both ways, first via the network>homenetwork>networkhdd>music route, and also through the mapped drive letter z:\music and gone with both the folder, and tag seartch option, although those options are post scan so it should not make any odds

its obviously in some ways a software issue because both wmp and mediamonkey scan fine, but its not restricted to album player...

album player does see all the folders, and is able to add the albums individually (im not doing that for 500+ albums) just struggles scanning them.. mp3 toys has the same issue, but it doesnt even see all the folders, and it sees some subdirectories as root directories and has all sorts of trouble..

ive also tried on a few folders re-tagging them and checking for special characters as i know some software gets stuck with that, but its not that either.. http://forum.albumon.com/posting.php?mode=reply&t=1456

other than that im stumped...
network drive info: NetHDD006-1216
transfers using smb. ip is fixed, dhcp is off.. but like i say, WMP has no problems
router: thomson speedtouch st585
both running brand new firmware (already updated that)
was the same through my other router, so its not a router issue

as i side note.. i didnt use album player under xp, only since installing vista, but mp3 toys had a few issues under xp, but it would find anything, so it does seem a vista specific issue

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:45 pm 

have you looked at the permissions of the folders/drive that are not being read ?

you may also try make a new folder and copy the music from the folders that are not being read to the new folder

may help

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:39 pm 

all are uncheked as read only, etc etc etc
and have tried copying to new partition on the drive, changing folder names..
even redid some of the tags to see...

scans fine in musicmatch as well.. .i think maybe windows default scanning/search engine works, custom ones dont or vice versa..

its annoying.. :/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:06 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

In fact AP just uses very standard Windows functions to scan your directory. It is not a a specific home made method.
(technical info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364418(VS.85).aspx )

Then for all files found it checks the file extension and then add it.

Please also answer my previous questions. They may be doesn't look relevant to you but I want to exclude other reasons.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:27 pm 

Peter van der Burg wrote:
Are you sure that the files are not found or are they added to the wrong albums may be?

Some questions:
1. What AP version do you use V5.0 or V5.1 beta 5?
2. In the new files found dialog, do you use directory names as base to determine albums or do you use the tags for that?

version is indicated as 5.0demo
Ive not tried the beta as im not yet registered, was trying it before i purchased..

ive tried both directory names as the default, and also file tags (all my files are tagged).. have scanned using both methods...

ive also just tried a number of things, between each i attempted a fresh scan - for this i used one particular folder in the Beatles folder, that had not been scanned - of 30 beatles albums - 9 have been recognised

renaming the folder
moving the folder
retagging them 3.1 removing any special characters ' - etc
removing the numbers from the filename so the filename is just track.mp3
retagged them as id 3.2

just closed, reopened and rescanned.. its found another album, but not one of the ones id edited..

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:38 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

It is a very strange situation. I had one issue with a network file system once before which is fixed now in 5.1 beta. That was a bout upper and lowercase characters, but it doesn't sound to me that this is the same problem. Coming monday or tuesday final 5.1 will be released, so also the demo. I guess you try that one, but I am afraid it will not improve the situation. It is hard to find what goes wrong, as mentioned, no special function is used to detect the files just standard functions.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:03 pm 

it is a frustration...
I shall try 5.1 when its released, maybe, hopefully, there will be a magic moment

I had the capital letters, special character thing with a media player before, so my tags are pretty clean (but do contain capitalisation)

just tried several things
WMP - Finds everything
JRiver - Finds 200 tracks in the Beatles Directory
AP - Finds 9 Albums in the beatles directory
MP3TOYS - Has all kinds of problems finding things
MEDIAMONKEY - Finds Everything

weirder and weirder

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:11 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

You mapped the drive as z:\

Did you already try just to search directly using network path instead, so something like:

\\musicserver\music\....

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:15 pm 

Peter van der Burg wrote:
You mapped the drive as z:\

Did you already try just to search directly using network path instead, so something like:

\\musicserver\music\....

yup.. tried both ways.. got a fair few albums doubled up now because it recognises them as being seperate albums in seperate locations...

im gonna hold fire over the weekend... ive put the problem on the elder geek forum too, as its not just album player, jriver doesnt like the network either, but like i say WMP and MM do.. so it may be something more technical...

will see what comes up, and try 5.1 next week...

interestingly its just found another 13 tracks... bizarre

update: tried a few more media players

Scan results on directory z:/bands/Beatles with albums in SDirs

+WMP - FINDS ALL FILES
+MEDIAMONKEY - FINDS ALL FILES
+ATUNES - FINDS ALL FILES
-JRIVER12 - 13 Albums (212 Files)
-ALBUM PLAYER - 9 ALBUMS (160 files)
-SONGBIRD - Finds 9 Albums (160 Files)
xMP3 TOYS - Doesnt scan properly at all

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Problem Scanning Files On Network Drive
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:07 am 

Hello,

I'm sorry to say I don't have any idea of your problem, Actually, I'm here to know about scanning documents and looking for any service provider who provides services of scanning documents, I have too many documents to scan for my office and I need the scanning services daily basis and 2-3 days must. If anyone has any idea about it, please suggest me with the best.
Thanks!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg