It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: V6 Beta 12
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:10 pm 

Hi Peter,

Big surprise to get the new beta, it is certainly a very different layout for us who have been using V5 and earlier betas for years and as you say, it will take a while to get used to. My early impressions after using for just 1 day. These might all be unfamiliarity issues with the new interface.

1) There seems to be no way to maximise, minimise or exit the player or am I missing it?
2) If you play a video it plays fine without slideshow mode cutting in, which is great. If you then play an mp3 sleep mode activates (fine) if the next track is a video it doesn't display it as its in sleep mode. Maybe there is a way to configure it to go out of sleep mode when playing a video? I only have one screen.
3) There is only a pause button not a stop button, not a big deal as pause does the same thing
4) It seems to get "busy" doing unseen stuff in the background. Symptoms are slow response to mouse action, not displaying album covers in "all" display mode, I've had 3 crashes, 2 times it just stopped outputting music to the speaker, twice where it has just stuck in the middle of playing a track and had to reboot it from windows. Never had any instability on previous betas.

maybe a reinstall may help or I might be able to try on another PC.

Regards

Glenn

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: V6 Beta 12
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:47 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Here some answers:

1) Is in under the settings menu
2) Hmm , yeah never thought off, I always play video on the side display. :) I will try look at it.
3) True
4) Yes, I always try to discourage people to use the ALL collection, there so much better ways to access your collection ;). But is should not lead to a crash. It is on my list before final release to get a management for loaded covers. The problem in the ALL collection is that AP tries to load all into memory. Large collections doesn't fit. But this management will limit the amount of covers in memory, which means scrolling in ALL will give a need to reload covers sometimes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:08 pm 

Thing is, the 'All' function is what makes the software as useful as it is.

I have the software sat on a dedicated PC / touchscreen, and the best part of it is being able to flick through the entire collection, with the album art, until a particular CD grabs me.

The best thing about the software in V5 was the super-smooth scrolling through the entire collection.

Given that machines now have vastly more RAM than when V5 was released, it would be a shame to lose this ability.

I've got just under 100,000 tracks (4700 albums) in the collection. I've noticed with V6 that it hiccups a bit as I spin through all of it (but it's on a relatively old PC), which I guess might be due to not having all the covers loaded in memory....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:32 am 

i to love the the 'All' function

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:12 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

The AP V6 is definitely much more smooth then V5, but it relies on DirectX and so it also relies on your graphics card. With a proper graphics card it scrolls super smooth, much more then V5 ever could be. Proper graphics card doesn't mean expensive graphics card. I use MSI GeForce GT 610 and it works great. Of course also a reasonable system with at least 4GByte helps (but again graphics card is most important)

Since AP is a 32 bits application, it can't use more than 4GByte. To prevent out of memory problems I need to add some control on the covers in memory, this would not slow down the scrolling by the way.

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg