It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: FEEDBACK
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:35 am 

:D :D :D :D

all good
just loaded 78000 files without any hassle

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:10 am 
AlbumPlayer Developer

That is good to hear. I wondering how the improved navigation feels. As mentioned in the AP V6 improvements it should now be much easier to browse through the collection. Also you can step back to each view and scroll position in the collection is remembered.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:37 am 

Hi Peter, i've tested the v6 now for three days:

Cons:

- still looks the same (tracks still not look like buttons)
- the buttons (artist, all, etc...) are now hidden behind "home" (unnecessary)
- buttons are not customizable
- way too much information on the "artist" buttons - just the name is enough
- the fontsize of the buttons is not changeable - so 90% of the button is just blank - while the artist name is to small. Zoom increases everything, so this is no option
- still not very customizable - why not choose the buttons in the top row everyone for himself?
- if you choose, show "album and year" - it shows only "album" and "Year" within one artist overview - but when you go to "all" it also only shows "album" and "Year" which is useless - because if you look at all records - the "artist" is also necessary - but not inside the a single artist.
you know what i mean? Inside "John Lennon" - i only need the album title and the year - but looking at ALL my records the artist name is necessary.
So the views must be independent.
- although the new album view is better than the old "open-cd-case-view", it is still not perfect - besides the fact, that the tracks still not look like buttons, the record cover or album information shown on the left side, sometimes is cut of by the track list on the right.

- There should be a third zoom funktion, specially for "fonts" (track names, album titles, artists, etc... (this would be more important then the other zoom function, because the rest would adjust automaticaly with the font anyway)

- why is the artist now in the second line and the record title in the first? why such things are not customisable? I prefer the old way - first the artist, then the record title, then the year,...

- still not the possiblility to change all records at once to "vinyl" or whatever although this must be one of the easiest thing to change or better to make customizalbe, just bring in the option "always use ..."

PRO:

- the return button works.
- the album view is much better then the "open-cd-case-view"
- the zoom function is good - but needs to be improved (see above)

So make it more customizable - colors, fontsize, columnes, buttons, ... - just imagine what amazing skins would come up.

Thanx for now
Norman

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:20 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Actually mainly your remarks focus on the skin which is still the old. It is all what lies beneath is the important that is changed, the whole navigation etc. The skinning engine is completely rebuild, now there is a need for a true graphics designer to build well balanced skin(s) (button/field size and fonts).

Important for me to know is, how it is experienced to have the collection buttons hidden. I expected not everybody will like it so I might decide to get them back. Note that you can customize which buttons to appear and you can also choose your text to appear on the button.

To have the album name appear first or artist first is might be a good idea to make customizable

I will look at the Media type to change for a group of selected albums in the collection editor. Should net be a problem but my focus was on the main interface so far. I add it to the issue list

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:51 pm 

Using Windows 7.

Click on 'Preferences' icon does take you to preferences menu, but there is no 'Back' available, and no other keys allow you to escape. However clicking on the old 'Database' icon does work like a Back key.

The Database icon appears to have no effect (other than mentioned above).

Once any given collection is loaded then scrolling is very smooth and easy to control. As you described large collections do take a very long time in this first release.

If a collection occupies slightly more than a full screen (1 to 3 rows more), then the scroll bar does not appear on the right side. However you can still scroll down by 'click and drag' with mouse.

When a large collection (multiple full screens of albums) is loaded, the scroll bar does not appear until that whole collection is loaded. For example I have a lot of artists starting with letter 'J', so the J collection does this. Also, the letter J shows up on every single line beside the scroll bar. It eventually disappears, but you can still see a slightly different colored area where the column of J's was before. (This behaviour is difficult to describe).

When using forward and back keys to move through artists, genres, etc there is no indication as to where you are.

What is function of 'Pin to Home Menu' button?

How are the collection buttons edited now?

For just 1.0 of beta this version is more advanced and complete than expected. Excellent beginning

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:51 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

I understand that some things can be confusing. Should have mentioned, but because I use an existing skin to test new behavior, some buttons got now different meaning which confuse. The most important is the two buttons formerly known as the "database menu" and "preferences menu" button are have a different meaning. The left button (formerly database) is now to switch to collection mode, the right button (formerly preferences) is now switch to settings mode. With a new skin this would be much more clear. The advantages is now that in for instance party mode, the whole settings mode can be hidden at once easily.

The scroll bar indeed doesn't appear always at the correct moment. The letter bar appears to late because of slow loading the collection. The letter bar should also be more meaningful when you browse for instance browse a collection by artist letter.

"When using forward and back keys to move through artists, genres, etc there is no indication as to where you are. " True, was mentioned in my issue list already, title is not showing.

"What is function of 'Pin to Home Menu' button? How are the collection buttons edited now?" These 2 questions are related. The collection buttons appear in the Home menu by Pinning collections to the Home menu. Note that you can also Pin subpages to the home menu. See it as your Favorite collections. I probably also will make possible to show these collection buttons on the top again. Lets see

Still work in progress, but happy now that I can share the work with others.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:16 pm 

I don't have done a great testing for now, but first impression, looks good beter overview and more easy to tweak in the future.

For now, navigation is improved but I have a triple monitor setup Left is portret second and third are landsscape. If I maximize Albumplayer on the left monitor the upper buttons home preference etc does not work. If I scale albumplayer so that the top of Albumplayer is even with the second and the third monitor te buttons wil work again. For the buttons below in maximize scale , pause play etc no problem.

I see hard and great work in it and has great potential to become a very good Albumplayer. Thanks and have a good weekend.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:17 pm 

Quote:
and more easy to tweak in the future.

For me that is.. :lol: ]

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:36 pm 

I am testing beta 6 too.We have 1684 albums, 40559 tracks and approximately 2647 hours of music.
For me everything is working fine ,the only thing is that you can't see the next number (queue) anymore and I think it is a pity that artist update via last.fm is not working anymore ,but that is not Albumplayer's fault ofcourse :D :D
So far I am very happy with this beta version ,

Keep up the good job ,Peter

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:00 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Thanks for the feedback. The last.fm problem is mentioned, I will try to find a replacement. It is high on the list. The next songs in the queue is removed indeed. The AP still can show the track next to play and previously played. Not in the queue , but somewhere else. The only thing there is no good place in the Piano Black. Also that part will get attention

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:12 pm 

Finally had the time to install AP on my jukebox and give it a quick spin.

Some things I found out on my install:
-In settings mode: Every button that contains a check-mark does not work unless you click in the check-mark.
-Scrolling does not work at first when you load a collection. The bar appears, but it does not react unless you do a swipe in the collection first. After that it works and it shows the letters next to the scrollbar.
-It feels a bit slow, for example in the auto-dj window. Could be because it is the first time it is loaded and of course it is a beta.
-No titles was already mentioned, I believe this includes the title of the playing song. (I do see the time though)
-Creating you own buttons on the top would be a great improvement. I'm not sure I like the "show all" button on the home screen. Maybe create a button on the home screen for that.

On the up side I like the new layout, album view is much clearer. Active auto-dj settings are much easier to see now.
Keep it up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:56 am 
AlbumPlayer Developer

It might be good to check/uncheck on the whole button instead of only the checkmark. In phones it also sometimes work only on the checkmark, I copied that but also not completely happy with it.

The slow loading I can happily tell you that I succeeded to solve this issue by choosing a new solution in showing scroll list. It is superfast now. Will be available in the next beta.

The think with the Show All is, is that you actually almost never should use it. You should Pin your own collection overview and pages to the Home menu. After that Show All should hardly be used. Next to that I think it is good that you can assign which buttons of the home you can let appear in the main bar.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:24 pm 

Hi Peter,

here are some things i've noticed:

- the new feature showing also the records an artist appears besides his own record is a great idea and works pretty good - except in some cases the artist button shows no "appears on" but when you press the button there are records the artist appears on - you know what i mean? On the Button it says only "studio: 1" but inside - there is the studio record AND the records the artist appears on.

- although the one-click action is set in preferences (ie.: single click on track plays the track, ...) it doesn't work - so single clicks don't work - neither adding track to playlist nor playing track

- Navigation I: when you press the "alphabet" button - you see A,B,C... which is fine - but when you then press "G" for example - you see all the records of all the artists starting with "G" which is confusing - it would be better to just see a list of all the Artists starting with "G" - and then choose the artist.

- Navigation II: as said already - a customizable row of buttons on top is one of the most important things - because THIS IS what makes navigation quick and easy, now i'm just searching for the right buttons all the time. the ideal would be: backward button - forward button - and the rest of the row customizable buttons - this would be only one row with everything on it - quick and easy.

- Navigation III: there should be a button which brings you right to the first track in the playlist, ie. when there are 69 track in the playlist and you want to got to the first track you have to scroll up. the big "deselect all" button could easily be divided into two smaller buttons - one for "select/deselect all" (simple "s") and one for "jump to first track" (simple "top") or something like that - or even better - making this button row customizable, because the "play" button is useless since it is already on the player.

Just some things i've noticed for now. Keep up the good work and thanks for all your work

Dan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:13 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

- the first issue with the "appears on", I will also look on it. But if you can find some pattern in it to reproduce it would be helpful.

- the single click is added to the issue list

- Navigation I: I think this opinion will differ from user to user. So easy also now to go to the artist collection through the search.

- Navigation II: I will reintroduce the collection buttons in the top again. You can already pin overview and pages to the home menu. These buttons will also appear at the top bar.

- Navigation III: I can imagine there is a need to quick jump to the top, the bottom or to the now playing track. But also want to avoid too many buttons. And clicking on the top off the scroll bar brings you to the top already. By the way, the play button is the button to play the selected track. It is not useless.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:25 am 

I haven't done much testing with 6.0 but one option I have seen which I really like in other programs for extending button functionality, is to right click a button and then a submenu appears. This leaves the same original number of buttons, but adds functionality if you want to i.e. put 7 sub-options accessible from the same button.
It's like the PDF viewers that when you mouse to a certain location, a menu for {Save|Print|Zoom} appears as an overlay and then you can use those options.. Just an idea to consider. Photoshop uses this similar thing with the tools menu where there is a little triangle in the corner indicating there are more choices if you wish to expand them and choose another tool using the same button by right clicking on it.

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next