It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Coin Operation Project
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:39 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Since AP V5.1, the AlbumPlayer supports coin operation using special Party Mode settings. There is also a special skin available.

In this topic I show a low cost solution to operate the AlbumPlayer with a real coin acceptor. Also the source code of the interface program is made available so people can adjust it if they want to use a different coin acceptor or if they want to make extensions to it.

The used coin acceptor gives a pulse when a correct coin is inserted. Because computers these days doesn't have com ports or game ports, it is hard to connect a signal directly to the PC. Therefore I bought the cheapest USB gamepad I could find (10 euro), uncovered it and used the board as an interface to the computer. The coin signal is connected in such a way that on the PC it looks like a button is pressed, which is detected by the interface program.

Ok, here what follows are pictures of the coin operation and my test setup. Below the pictures you will find details how to connect and how the software can be used.

The screenshot of the coin operation optimized skin:

The complete working test setup. The 12V power supply is connected at the power connector at the back.

The components:

The board is taken out the logitech gamepad as it is and mounted on the test setup. Picture below shows how to connect the coin acceptor to the Logitech board. The coin acceptor signal normally is 12 Volt switched on and of by a transistor at the output (see picture). We don't want to use the 12 Volt, but we want to open/close the gamepad button signal. This is done by connecting the button to the coin signal output with a diode in between it. The 12 Volt doesn't reach the Logitech board, but the button is switched by the transistor at the output of the coin signal. Simple as that. :)

See below here, the board in detail with the diode connected to one of the input pins.

The interface program is written using Visual Studio 2008 with C# language used. If you want to make adjustments. You can download Visual Studio 2008 Express for free. Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/express/ click "Explore by product" and then choose C# express.

You can download the code for the interface program from here:
http://www.albumon.com/attachments/Coin ... erface.zip . The zip file also contains the executable if you don't want to adjust it but just run it.

To adjust the program you should go to CoinValidatorForm.cs file, the rest are support files to contact to a game controller and to connect to the AlbumPlayer. These files doesn't need adjustment.

Some other information:

The type of the coin acceptor is HI-06CS. I ordered it in Germany, but there are other places too. Costs 27,95 Euro.
http://www.arcadeshop.de/Münztechnik-Münzkomparator_512.html

The Gamepad used is the Logitech Precision. You can buy it on different places. Costs 10 Euro.

The power supply is general unstabilized one, I ordered in the Netherlands. The coin acceptor needs 12V, which can be offered by the power supply, but have I put it on 9 Volt (which works) because unstabilized ones gives a higher voltage sometimes. Costs 7,20 Euro
http://www.elektronica-online.nl/?content=2879

Total costs is about 45 Euro.

I probably forgot things or you have other questions. Please let me know.

Other coin validators:

For people that want to write their own interface with program language or command scripts, I also created a small console application which you can start with commandline options and pass the credits to instead that you have to send the credits with an XML message.

You can download the console application here (need .NET framework 2.0):
http://www.albumon.com/attachments/Cred ... menter.zip

You can set/add credits in by starting the app from the commandline in two ways:
CreditIncrementer.exe -add:3 (to add 3 credits)
CreditIncrementer.exe -set:5 (to set it to 5 credits)

Last edited by Peter van der Burg on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:40 pm 
AlbumPlayer Graphics Designer

Wooohooo :) Well done, nice testing setup :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:46 pm 

What is the spec on the diode

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:47 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

I think any general purpose diode will do. Just to prevent to have the 12 Volt on the Logitech board.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:55 pm 

I presume that the red wire is the coin mech 12v and its just grounded, whats the situation with other regular type gamepad

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:05 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

The red wire is +12V as shown in the diagram.

I can't say about all gamepad's, but in general I expect the behavior is the same. Just buttons which needs to be connected to GND to be activated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: coin operation
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:42 pm 

where in the zip file is the actual program to rin coin operation

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:36 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

It is somewhere in a bin. dir. I am not able now to look at it. If you unpack the zip and then let windows search for a .exe file you will find it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:05 pm 

i have looked through it but i don't see a .exe file

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:27 pm 

sorry peter my mistake, found it

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:00 pm 

Just tried the exe file(s), keeps coming up with an application error
(0x0000135)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:04 pm 

should be 0xc000135

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:52 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Hard to say. I can only look at it in about 3 weeks. It is not a solid tested program but just a starter to develop your own add-on to serve a coin validator. The software now assumes that there is a logitech precision gamepad connected and the validator is connected to button 7 (I think).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:16 am 

i have the coin mech and logitech preision gamepad connected

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:22 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

I assume you have .NET framework 2.0 installed. If so then the only thing to catch the error at this moment is to load the program in visual studio express and run it from there. Otherwise you have to wait several weeks.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next