It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:29 pm 

AAI only uses a single line for display regardless of model. This is not a problem as having a scrolling display allows for all current track and album data to be shown. You will also be able to select a font which best suits your needs. You should also be able to find a font that makes use of all 16 horizontal pixels of this model.

Also, please check that your motherboard has a serial port. If not, you will need a USB to RS232 adaptor (AAI does not support USB signs). These are very cheap - I use one from 'Prolific'.
I hope this helps.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:33 pm 

I finally got my sign working, and I love this program, I bought a 330C alpha sign that is 7feet long, anway do you see way to make the info displayed not scroll, As with the stopped and paused messages, they have a hold/rotate function, this would be great if I could do that also to the main info.

Thanks again for such a great add-on to a great program!!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:01 am 

Yes, that is not a problem. I have added a 'hold' function as requested - I am testing now so I should be able to release an update shortly.
However, you should note that if the main message is longer than your sign can display then it will cycle the message. This is a function of the sign so clearly I cannot do anything about that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:55 pm 

Version 3.5 is now available for download.
Added 'Hold' for main display.
Increased ports to COM20.
Please report any problems.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:17 am 

Your AWESOME!!!! I'll give it a try! Thank you so much!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:16 pm 

I tried the latest version (3.5) on my laptop. Unfortunately I experienced some problems. On startup, a popup shows with '5.1 is not a valid floating point value'.
Than the main form will open. Clicking on port does nothing, clicking other options will generate also popups with 'Access violation at address 00477799 in module 'Alpha Interface.exe. Read of address 00000000'.
Does the software work with the 5.3 Beta 12?
Albumplayer itself works OK.
I want to use AAI to interface with a creation of my own.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Tried it also on my main albumplayer PC, which runs AP 5.2, same issues.
Both PC's run on XP, one on pro, the other on fundamentals.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:14 pm 

There are no known problems with XP or AlbumPlayer regardless of version.

The 'Port' menu will not display if AAI cannot find a valid Com port. Please check 'Device Manager' and ensure that your Com port is both shown and working correctly. You should also ensure that it is set to 9600,8,1. (Remember, AAI requires a serial port - it will not work with USB.)

I am unable to reproduce any of your errors but they may possibly be linked to the missing Com port. If all is well with your serial port then let me know and I will try to find the problem.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:50 am 

Thanks for your reply.
My laptop has a native serial port (yes that is rare). also, i see about 10 bluetooth serial ports in device manager, so I don't suspect that being the problem. The same happens on my AP pc.
Where is the .ini file located? I might be able to change com port there.
Also, does the software need additional librarier/runtimes.

Edit: Found a ini in the program folder. Contains the following:

[Main]
Clear Sign On Exit=No
Stopped Message=Stopped
Position X=381
Position Y=385
Last Position=No

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:10 pm 

I think we can discount Bluetooth serial ports as they operate with their own stack/profile which, to the best of my knowledge, are not 'seen' by Windows as serial ports. Consequently, AAI doesn't find them because they are not enumerated. In other words, AAI asks WIndows for a list of serial ports and populates the menu with the result. Windows appears to be reporting a null list. However, note that AAI will ignore ports above Com20. Do you see a port above Com20? If so, that is likely to be the problem. Can you tell me the Com number of your *hardware* serial port?

Your ini file is incomplete (probably due to crash in the serial port routine). The initial file should look similar to this:

[Main]
Clear Sign On Exit=No
Main Font=8
Paused Font=3
Stopped Font=3
Last Position=No
Position X=381
Position Y=385
Form On Top=Yes
Port=COM15
Genré Colour=3
Album Colour=1
Artist Colour=2
Track Colour=3
Paused Colour=3
Stopped Colour=1
Paused Mode=b
Stopped Mode=b
Forced Update=No
Sign Type=Alpha
Show Album=Yes
Show Artist=Yes
Show Track=Yes
Show Track Artist=No
Show Track No.=Yes
Show Year=No
Show Genré=No
Show Album Rating=No
Show Track Rating=No
Display Mode=Rotate

You could try adding the Port=COMxx entry manually (This entry will be absent until a valid port is found).

AAI is 100% self contained and doesn't require any external libraries or runtime apps.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 pm 

Ok, I tried adding the com port to the ini by hand. Unfortunately this makes no improvement. For testing I also installed AP and AAI on my development PC. I can see exactly the same errors there, this PC has no bluetooth, so no extra ports besides com1 and 2.
COM ports are all working (I tested the serial routines for my display today)
I hope you can find something. If it might help I am willing to try any older versions.

To give an idea of what I am doing: I have a big VFD display which I want to use to show albumplayer data. To do this i am programming (part of) the alpha protocol in the microcontroller. In this way I don't have to program my own AP-to-serial application. (To be honest I am more experienced in microcontrollers than in Windows programming, :oops:)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:11 pm 

I am baffled! Just so I'm sure I understand, you have:

Development PC with 2 physical COM ports (9pin D Type?). - Both ports appear in Windows device manager and XP shows both as working normally. - They are numbered COM1 and COM2.

Laptop has 1 physical COM port (COM1?) etc...

What microcontroller board are you using? The reason I ask is that some (the Arduino for example), while they deal with serial comms, actually connect to the PC via USB. I am trying to establish that the 'serial routines' you mentioned are, in fact, 'real' serial connections and not USB routines that are sent to an FDTI chip or similar (and converted to serial) on your microcontroller board.

I will keep looking but, to be honest, I'm not convinced that the problem lies with AAI (but I'm prepared to be proven wrong!).
The reason I say that is that AAI uses a Windows function to supply port info. In your case, and for whatever reason, Windows appears to report that you don't have any! All earlier versions of AAI use exactly the same Com port routine so trying those would not be helpful.

In the interim, you may like to give a USB-RS232 adapter a try (less than 2GBP on eBay) and see if that will work.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:41 am 

To answer your questions:
I use an ATMega32, so no USB involved. Arduino? That's a dirty word :evil: . (Everything is in nice libraries, so you have NO clue what you are actually doing, too high level for me). The USART is connected to a Max232 to get the proper signal levels. This all works.

For the PC's:
The development PC is a P4 1.6, has WinXP pro, 2 serial ports, albumplayer 5.2. The serial ports work, as I was shouting data to my uC with hyperterminal.

The main AP Pc is a P3 1.0 with winxp for legacy pc's, with serial ports. One used for touchscreen, the other one free. Albumplayer 5.2 installed.

My laptop is a Pani cf-52, core I5, winxp pro with serial port. This port works as I use it almost daily for my work. Installed is AP 5.3 beta 12.

All PC's do the same. On startup, whether AP is running or not, give the 5.1 is not a floating point value message. After clicking OK, the main form will open. Clicking port has no effect. Clicking any of the other options will throw the Access violation.

I also took your advise and tried a Belkin usb-serial adapter. Still the same though. So, I don't know for now. The only thing all these pc's have in common is that they run XP.

Just out of interest: In which language did you program the code? If it's C# i am willing to take a look to see what exact error it throws on my systems. However, as it is your code I fully understand if you want to keep that private.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:22 am 

I have just noticed that you are in the Netherlands!
That may well explain why you are receiving the 'not a floating point' error (unless I'm barking up the wrong tree). I believe your language would expect to see 5,1 not 5.1.
Over here, 5.1 is returned by Windows to signify XP (greater than 5.1 signifies Vista or Win7 and above).
I suspect your OS is returning 5,1. Note though that this has nothing to do with my comms routines so, unless there is some odd knock on effect, this won't help with the comms problem (but you can keep your fingers crossed).
I will PM you with a link to a test build shortly.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:18 pm 

The end is in sight! :lol:
As a test, I set regional settings in my laptop to UK. Believe it or not: it works flawlessly. So you are probably right about the period/comma.
I would like to restore the original settings because of other programs, so it would be great if you could fix this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:39 am 

Good news! I'm very pleased that appears to solve the problems.
It will be a day or two before I can get a new build to you to test as I only have my Macbook available (development PC decommissioned while wallpaper stripping!). Hopefully you can manage with the region change until then.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next