It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: UPnP Output Sponsorship
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:05 pm 

Would anyone be willing, or able, to develop support for a UPnP renderer in AlbumPlayer?
There are many UPnP media renderers on the market including some new audiophile ones - Linn DS series, Olive Melody 2. One problem with UPnP is that the software part is lacking: there are UPnP servers (often hard drive storage units running Twonky) and there are UPnP renderers (often devices by Netgear etc.). In theory you should be able to have a UPnP control point that allows you to connect to servers (storage) and output to one or more renderers. In practice there is only one - Cidero - and that is clumsy and limited. Linn has a fugly software solution that is limiting their ability to sell the DS series.
I am willing to sponsor someone to write an add-on for AP that would allow the user to select a UPnP renderer for output rather than being limited to the output devices of the local PC. This solution would need to find available UPnP renderers on the network (easy), support UPnP AV2 protocols and be able to stream the music files in their native formats. I expect others will be interested in having format conversion options on the local PC rather than relying on the remote renderer.
I do not know if AP allows such an add-on but I am serious in my interest to encourage such a solution and willing to make a significant contribution to its development.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg