It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Network?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:11 pm 

I'm planning on using a NAS for storing my mp3's. Does anyone else use one and do they suffer from and lag/delays.

My intention is to have a passive PC (No fans if possible) so the spec will be fairly low and pull the files from a NAS stored somewhere out of sight and sound. The PC will be connected to a Home Theatre Amp which I've not decided on yet.

Just wondering if you get the same performance over a 100mb network as you would on a local drive.

Thanks

MGMCGILL

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:23 pm 

i would imagine if the network is fast enough you should not see any ill effects even if wireless. Get as fast a network as you can afford :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:08 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Since V4.9d the AP prefetches music to be able to play without lag or delay. So for the music I don't see problems. But may be your databse (with covers) might be better on local disk, but you can do experiments with that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:59 am 

I use a NAS drive for all my music - it's on a 10/100 network and I've never had any problems. I mount the drive as a local drive (Z:) and it's all good!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: 10/100 network
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:23 pm 

10/100 network what does that do matt :?:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:02 am 

10/100 simply means it's a 100Mbps network

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:02 pm 

mfacer wrote:
I use a NAS drive for all my music - it's on a 10/100 network and I've never had any problems. I mount the drive as a local drive (Z:) and it's all good!!

You don't experience any sort of delays I take it?

What knid of NAS are you using? I've read some manufacturers can drop there network connection without warning. Any problems like this?

MGMCGILL

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 pm 

I use several of these:
http://www.synology.com
I've experience no problem through the last 3½ years :-)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:18 pm 

I have a Thecus N5200 and it works great (for now 6 months).

Thecus

Bye,
egonsa.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:50 pm 

mgmcgill wrote:
You don't experience any sort of delays I take it?

What knid of NAS are you using? I've read some manufacturers can drop there network connection without warning. Any problems like this?

MGMCGILL

There are no delays I've found yet! I use a buffalo 120gb for my music - but I do also have a netgear "toaster" - I cant remember the name! that has a 250gb hard drive in it, but I find the speeds are terribly slow when accessing normal files from my PC - so I've not used that one yet. the 120gb drive is more than enough at the moment.

It's all running through a netgear fs350 (i think it's called that - without running upstairs and checking!)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Network?
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:39 pm 
mgmcgill wrote:
I'm planning on using a NAS for storing my mp3's. Does anyone else use one and do they suffer from and lag/delays.

My intention is to have a passive PC (No fans if possible) so the spec will be fairly low and pull the files from a NAS stored somewhere out of sight and sound. The PC will be connected to a Home Theatre Amp which I've not decided on yet.

Just wondering if you get the same performance over a 100mb network as you would on a local drive.

Thanks

MGMCGILL

I use a synology 409slim Raid5 - no problem with it!
I turn off upnp & dlna (just use the nas to store files for all the PC's in the house)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:06 pm 

Any NAS or even USB 1.1 should work.

Most MP3's is about 1MB (Mega Byte) per minute - that's roughly 10 Mega bit per minute which equals to 167 Kb (Kilo bit) per second.

10 years ago I used a 120GB Maxtor USB disk connected to a USB 1.1 port, playing MP3's with WinAmp and the HDD was idling the most of the time.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:26 pm 

If you want to use wifi stick to wireless "n" ( router and adaptor). It is the strongest of the wifi options( b,g,n) mine shows about 280mbs most of the time. I use this and I stream FLAC files from a network PC and it is perfect. Although it is also very good over my 54Mbs adaptor. obviously for the reasons explained above.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:03 pm 

I am not using a NAS but rather Windows Home Server. I stream all my music to every pc in my house as all files are on the server. I have a 10/100/1000 network so obviously everything is seemless there. I also have built a standalone jukebox which I use for outdoor parties. This also works great streaming over my wireless G. It even works great when the jukebox is in my detached gargage 100 ft away. The only real lag I have ever experienced on my network is streaming 720p MKV movies from my server to a wireless device. I think the wireless G is my bottleneck in this case. But even then, the "lag" is barely noticeable and is really just more of an inconvenience as the movies take a little longer to load...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:55 pm 
Dear mgmcgill,

That's great! A lot of people has walked that road!

Is use a NAS (Synology 409slim with 4x seagate250gb) total of 750GB in RAID5 mode and a 1,5 TB HD as backup of my NAS!

I use it to store all my music (over 400GB) more then 3500 CD albums (that over 50000+ tracks) Most of then are MP3&Flac.

Even when my NAS is downloading torrents (often movies) streaming audio to a computer (album player or billy (from speed friends) works fine

hope this helps you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg Go to page 1, 2  Next