It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:44 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

If you hear clicking noises, then visit this topic: http://forum.albumon.com/viewtopic.php?t=2521

Deleting all albums: Go to the collection editor, press Ctrl-A to select all albums then press Delete. If you want to start with a fresh database, then you might decide to rename c:\albumplayerdata to something else then start AP , it will ask to create a new database.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:10 pm 

Thanks Peter for your o so speedy answers 8) CHAPEAU

Going to use your advice on the database and get back to you
I'm using Avast on the laptop but i'll look into this if this scanner gives any problems also and get back on that to.
Any comments on the "search" problems i've had?

:mrgreen: happy customer :!:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:37 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

The forum Search just works if that is what you asked

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:01 am 

Peter van der Burg wrote:
Deleting all albums: Go to the collection editor, press Ctrl-A to select all albums then press Delete. If you want to start with a fresh database, then you might decide to rename c:\albumplayerdata to something else then start AP , it will ask to create a new database.

That worked!
Got the database going again and AP looks like it supposed to look :D

I have another question, the NAS is now connected via the router to the laptop.
With the question in mind that i hear soft iregular clicking noises which could come from Avast the virusscanner, would it be better to connect the NAS directly to the laptop instead of using the router.
I would have no internet connection so no exposure to virusses and other crap therefore lose the need to use a scanner in the first place.

Your thoughts on this would be apreciated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:27 am 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Twould not help to connect directly. Best option is to install a virus scanner which doesn't have this bad habit. Never install Norton as alternative, I consider Norton as a virus itself. You might try just to use windows security essentials.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:56 am 

I agree. Required audio data speed compared to ethernet (router) transfer speed is very small. Either your anti-virus software is interfering, or you have a data delivery problem from your NAS. We have seen some history here of NAS devices corrupting data or having long interruptions before continuing to deliver it.

You could try these tests to look at the problem:

1. Copy your music library from the NAS drive to your local hard drive using Windows Explorer. If the copy doesn't complete, your NAS is probably not delivering the data reliably, or it is going offline for some reason. It may be the antivirus software, or the NAS firmware or drivers might have a software bug.

2. Uninstall the antivirus software and restart. If the problem goes away, it is most likely it was that causing the interruption.

You should be able to reliably copy data to and from the NAS drive without interruption. If you can't, AP can't play correctly either, and that would indicate you need to contact the NAS manufacturer for support or remove the application that's interfering.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:56 am 

Thanks Peter and xblkx for your reply's.

I'd like to mention this, i'm a member on several forums worldwide but i'm just positively stagered by the level of support on this APforum.
Every question, even the stupid ones, get answered almost instantaniously, answers are substanciated with knowledge of, or experience with the product.

This means i'm giving you developers and mods my thumbs up and want to thank you for your time and effort you are putting in your/this product and the aftersales! :D

Now don't think that i'm done with asking the stupid questions, i'll be back soon with more after i tackled the current hurdle :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:36 pm 

xblkx wrote:
I agree. Required audio data speed compared to ethernet (router) transfer speed is very small. Either your anti-virus software is interfering, or you have a data delivery problem from your NAS. We have seen some history here of NAS devices corrupting data or having long interruptions before continuing to deliver it.

You could try these tests to look at the problem:

1. Copy your music library from the NAS drive to your local hard drive using Windows Explorer. If the copy doesn't complete, your NAS is probably not delivering the data reliably, or it is going offline for some reason. It may be the antivirus software, or the NAS firmware or drivers might have a software bug.

2. Uninstall the antivirus software and restart. If the problem goes away, it is most likely it was that causing the interruption.

You should be able to reliably copy data to and from the NAS drive without interruption. If you can't, AP can't play correctly either, and that would indicate you need to contact the NAS manufacturer for support or remove the application that's interfering.

Hi there xblkx,

I did what you asked me in step 2 and i tried to play from my external harddisk, nothing changes.
Dropouts and what sounds like a drummer of beat if you know what i mean the music skips a beat or holds its breath for a few milliseconds, no spikes or loud cracking noises.
If i have the time i'll try to copy the data from the NAS to a external harddisk and see what happens.

What is discovered myself is the following, if i startup Ctrl-alt-del (taskmanager) and press the second tab PROCESSES i'm watching 46 (!) items running!
That looks like alot for a computerdummie like me.
Then watching the NETWORK tab i'm looking at a sort of a heartbeat like clockwork with here and there a small absence or a spike, but the spike never reaches higher then 25% of the bandwith.
The absence or the spike for that matter never coinsides with a abnormality in my soundsystem

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:50 am 

It's not unusual to have that many processes running.
I think copying the data from NAS to an internal (or external, if you don't have an internal drive) and trying to play it from there is an important test. I still suspect the NAS drive is not delivering data reliably, especially now that it is very unlikely it's your antivirus software.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:05 am 

Hello xblkx,

I'm doing as ordered :lol:
The disk i use is the same disk i rip my cd's to with EAC.

This is what my screen looks like;
Something is making me curious though, when i see the estimated time to make the transfer i'm puzzeled because it took me 8 hours to upload and now nearly 20 hours to download, even the transferspeed is cut in half :shock:

And i already played (the original ripped files) from my external drive, it didn't make a difference :(
Is there a remote possibility that windows on my laptop is acting up?

EDIT!

This is what my screen (taskmanager- network) looked like when it was uploading from NAS to external harddisk;

This what the same screen showed when playing from NAS, the mess is when i changed the settings in AP for Asio;

The screen was very different when i was playing music from the NAS before, i already wrote that it didn't came above 25% bandwith...?

Next screen is also from the taskmanager but then processes, it took me 2 photo's to show you the 46 items;

I also notice that when i'm changing views on the laptop or accessing taskmanager there audiofailures.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:16 pm 

It seems like you are having a data transfer problem. I would contact the manufacturer of the NAS, send them these screen shots and ask if that looks normal and what could be causing it. They may direct you to a firmware upgrade or have another recommendation. Anytime your CPU is at 100%, you could get an audio interruption regardless of the audio application that's playing the data.

Perhaps someone who is using a NAS without problems could post a CPU utilization screenshot while a copy of the library is happening. I don't have one to do it for you.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:30 am 

I totally agree with you xblkx but í did something in frustration yesterday that did work out very good indeed.

As i told you before, the laptop with Albumplayer on it is wired to the router which also has the Nas wired to it, both are using cat7 cables, both 2 metres length.
Why cat7, i'm always trying to use the best there is and cat7 is far better shielded then cat5.
Anyway, after lots of clicks and noise i pulled the wired network out and turned on wifi.

After, say 10 seconds, wifi kicked in and again music filled the room and i started waiting for the clicks and noises, they still need to appear.

With wifi it works flawless :shock: , i'll eat my hat if you can give me an answer that'll make sense in why it won't work wired and works with wifi.

The only thing that springs in mind is the router, apparently there's something wrong with the "wired" section, perhaps the switching between the different (4!) ports....i don't know and i don't care for now.

After this weekend i'm gone for a much needed vacation and i'll be back the second half of august, then i'll pickup your suggestion and contact the supplier.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:47 pm 

That was a great idea and I'm glad you found a solution! That actually makes sense to me... you were in fact having connectivity problems between your computer and your storage resource. The cause of it could be hardware but is more likely a driver or firmware issue in the network transport layer (in the transmission of data packets between devices).

It does not seem to be the NAS drive causing the problem (it is possible but not likely; it also could contribute but still not be the root cause). If the NAS was the problem, it would probably still not work on wireless. A test that I would recommend is to replace your wired network switch or router with a different brand, if you have one available to try. If it works wired with that, it's probably the cat7 router that needs fixed or updated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:02 pm 

After fixing this problem of clicks and noises i'm looking for a different computer because my laptop is noisy as well.
After a few minits a small but loud fan springs to life and creates a very distracting backround noise.

Therefor i need to know what are the specs needed to get albumplayer run smoothly so i can enjoy my music without glitches or whatever.

I found this;
http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Computer-As ... 50/1361674
It comes with W7 home premium.
Am i close?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:20 am 

Screwed up big time :(
I got me a brand new very small computer (ASUS EEEBOX EB1021) with W7 HP 64 and got AP setup from scratch but i misplaced the database.
The database now has the same adres as the backup and it is on a external harddrive :oops:
So i tried to change the adres back to C but it won't let me change the adres in Preferences/backup.
What should i do to change my screwup?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, this is what my setup looks like now, without a noisy fan from my old laptop

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next