It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: help needed, musiclover needs computerskills
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:24 pm 

Hi there, newbie here.

My old trusty cdplayer (Arcam alpha9) is dead as a doornail, so trying something completely new to me, streaming.

I understand the basics, but......computers are not my cup of tea.
Ripping my collection uncompressed (wav) to a 2TB NAS is the plan.
My laptop (Vista home edition) with a mediaplayer to an external DAC, the rDAC from Arcam, to my hifi setup.

Just want to rip my cd collection uncompressed, so EAC i'm told is the best.
Already i've lost twice my ripped collection from my harddrive with Jriver :evil: so that one didn't work, hence the NAS.
Then there is my high standard of listening to music, so what mediaplayer to use, albumplayer should be very good i'm told.
I haven't bought it yet because i want to see it work properly first because of the mishaps with other mediaplayers.

This is were it starts to go wrong for me.

I riped 3 cd's with EAC on a external harddrive, then i let albumplayer upload them.
I got one album with multiple tracks (x 3) , no coverart.
Deleted it, and did it again.
Got 2 albums with coverart, one album with multiple tracks (x 2)

Anybody, help.... :oops:
Were do i go wrong?

Regards,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:42 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

The way to have most success is to put your albums on your harddrive in a well defined structure.

For instance on one level you create Artist folders. One level deeper you create the Album folder. In an Album folder you put the tracks. The track file names preferably are numbered 01. 02. 03. etc.

Then now clear all albums using the Collection Editor in AP. So the AlbumPlayer has no albums remaining. Then choose "Scan disc for new track files", the AP will detect and ask question about your folder organisation. Choose the option which tells your Artist and Album level is different.

I guess what happened now is that your files got different names or locations and you did "scan disc for new track files" and the AP thought it find new tracks. because the path name is different. Then it will lead to multiple tracks. So when tracks are added my advice is not to change location or name of track file.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:23 pm 

I use Exact Audio Copy and AutoFLAC. There is a text file of help that comes with autoflac that tells you how to set both programs up to work with each other. It is a minor nuisance the first time but it essentially automates the process and creates an organized structure. It creates lossless compressed files - flac is about 40% smaller than wav, but the same quality. Nero has add-ons that let you drag flac into the burn window without conversion.

Make sure if you have AP "scan disk for new tracks" lookup options set to Directory and Filenames (which I do) that the template that defines how to read them is set correctly. i.e. if your filenames are 01-Trackname.flac etc that you don't have spaces where they don't belong. If they don't look right, delete them all in the collection editor and try again with correct settings.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:24 am 

First of all, thanks for helping me out with my problems. Didn't know that albumplayer was Dutch to begin with, or am i wrong?
As i stated before, i'm not handy with computers so if i'm asking stupid questions or dumb remarks, please forgive this newbie.

Perhaps it would be nice to have a sticky with specific setup info on albumplayer with the several ripping programs around...

Peter van der Burg wrote:
The way to have most success is to put your albums on your harddrive in a well defined structure.

For instance on one level you create Artist folders. One level deeper you create the Album folder. In an Album folder you put the tracks. The track file names preferably are numbered 01. 02. 03. etc.

By this you mean, i have to put every artist in a designated folder, that folder has to have separate (sub)folders with every album of the specified artist, then every specified album has a (sub)folder with the album tracks, on hard disk?
What about the metadata and albumart like the cover?

@xblkx; Even if your solution would help, and i'm not saying it won't, i'm not converting to FLAC files, sorry.
I'm a musicnerd and i don't like the idea to let my digitized musicfiles get converted with whatever program around, even if their "losless" like FLAC.
When a file gets tempered with, it gets tempered with, therefore it won't be the original file which i ripped one on one.
I'm seeking the highest possible quality around, within budget that is.

Regards,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:41 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

smartdriver wrote:
By this you mean, i have to put every artist in a designated folder, that folder has to have separate (sub)folders with every album of the specified artist, then every specified album has a (sub)folder with the album tracks, on hard disk?
What about the metadata and albumart like the cover?

Almost good. It should be:
......., then every specified album folder has tracks, on hard disk... (so the album folder doesn't have subfolders itself only the artist has subfolders)

I am from the Netherlands indeed, but I try to keep the forum english

If you feel more confident with WAV that is ok, but FLAC does contain exactly the same bits when unpacked. If you ever compressed documents to ZIP or RAR then after decompressing it is normal to everybody that the same document is there after decompress. With audio people don't trust. But FLAC can be compared to ZIP and RAR, the only thing it is optimized to compress audio. The uncompressed file is bit by bit the same as the original file before compressing. But it doesn't matter too much if you have enough diskspace.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:11 pm 

Peter van der Burg wrote:
Almost good. It should be:
......., then every specified album folder has tracks, on hard disk... (so the album folder doesn't have subfolders itself only the artist has subfolders)

...FLAC can be compared to ZIP and RAR, the only thing it is optimized to compress audio. The uncompressed file is bit by bit the same as the original file before compressing.

Peter, it worked! 8)
I only need to get the coverart into albumplayer but i don't have internet with albumplayer yet.
Perhaps this has to do with the fact that we have UPC and they have some serious issues lately with there internet-connections and internet-speed.

If you could set me up with info in how to get coverart into albumplayer, you'll make me a happy man.

Regards,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:53 am 

Regarding the flac discussion, you may wish to try what I did when I first learned about flac: convert it back and forth and binary compare the files and you will see that flac <---> wav is reversible just like zip files (as Peter described). It's still a personal choice though -- many sound editors can editor wav but not flac. It's an extra step, but there is no tampering or loss of quality. That is a fact.

To get cover art, have AP look it up automatically. If you already have cover art, put it in the same folder as the album, choose "Cover in Directory" in the lookup options and set the Settings correctly based on your file names. If it does not find it, use the Album Editor. "Cover" is a tab there. Use the buttons and choose the pulldown menu on the right "Album info, track info, and Cover lookup" to choose what you want to update. Press the "Settings" button there and verify it is looking for what you wish to use.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:33 am 

xblkx wrote:
...there is no tampering or loss of quality. That is a fact.

To get cover art, have AP look it up automatically. If you already have cover art, put it in the same folder as the album, choose "Cover in Directory" in the lookup options and set the Settings correctly based on your file names. If it does not find it, use the Album Editor. "Cover" is a tab there. Use the buttons and choose the pulldown menu on the right "Album info, track info, and Cover lookup" to choose what you want to update. Press the "Settings" button there and verify it is looking for what you wish to use.

Allright xblkx, i'll take that for a fact, you got me converted!
For now i'll be ripping one on one in WAV-files for my own collection but everytime i can rip a cd from a friend ill do that in FLAC-files.

I got the coverart working correctly in manual mode by putting the coverart in the albumfolder, not going anywhere with the autosetup though.
I'll get back on that if i don't make progress today.

Any posts made about the remote setup with Android device?

Thank you guys for the help in understanding the setup of albumplayer.

@Peter; i got pointed to Albumplayer by WIFIMEDIA in Arnhem.

Regards,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:08 am 

Hello again,

I have all the equipment i want now but need to get it working properly.

My NAS (LG N2R1D) this is loaded with 2 x 2Tb WD20EARX Caviar Green.
rDAC from Arcam with the Squeeze upgrade.
Finally bought Albumplayer.

The NAS gave me, as a computer newbie, alot of trouble, had to phone twice with LG customersupport and finally they hooked me up with a specialized company named Seviceplanet, they have a contract with LG.
WOW, these guys now what they're talking about.
They asked permission for a remote session and then got to work which took more than 1 hour with upgrades, new user interface and firmware.

Then i needed to get my collection of files (290 Gb) on the NAS.
After much reading and trying i found out that i needed a FTP program to get the show on the road.

But now i'm stuck, i need to let Albumplayer know where to get the music from.
How do i do that.
It works fine from a harddisk directly connected to the laptop but i'm unable to get things going from a network disk.

Where do i go wrong or is there a more easier method which includes the NAS :roll:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:49 am 
AlbumPlayer Developer

If you can only access with FTP then it is not a very usable solution. You must find out how to connect as a network share so your files can be accessed using a network path.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:14 am 

Thanks Peter for your answer, ill get back to reading with your pointers in mind.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:11 am 

I looked at the spec sheet for your NAS drive. It supports up to gigabit ethernet, so that device should show up as a drive. I'm almost certain you do not need to use ftp to access it, even though that is a feature it also supports. You really don't want to use ftp to transfer 290GB of data if you can avoid it. I see no reason why you can't simply use Windows Explorer to copy the data from its old location to this storage device.

What you want to do is get it set up so it looks like a drive on your computer (or as a shared drive on your network). Once you can assign a drive letter (such as F: ) to it, then you can use AP to find the music there.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:36 am 

xblkx wrote:
What you want to do is get it set up so it looks like a drive on your computer (or as a shared drive on your network). Once you can assign a drive letter (such as F: ) to it, then you can use AP to find the music there.

:roll: If any usermanual was so simple the whole world would run much smoother!
What i say is this, it worked! :P like a charm, it was done in 60 seconds.
Thanks xblkx!

In a few moments Albumplayer is going to feed music to my brand new rDAC and then the after a long 100 hours of playing it should give me the sound i was used to get from my old Arcam Alpha 9 cdplayer.
I hope ASIO won't give me trouble.

First try, no music.
Albumplayer says that device (NAS) is not ready, bummer :roll:
But i get the picture, formatted the NAS and trying to upload my music from extended hardrive and setup NAS as an networkdisk.

Keep you posted :wink:

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:46 am 

AP is extremely stable but it does need uninterrupted access to the music files. Another thing you can try to make sure the problem is not in AP:

Once you (think you) have your NAS drive set up as a drive, just use Windows Explorer to look at it. Check that your music files have been successfully copied from your previous drive to the NAS drive. Make sure you can do rightclick-properties on them and get info rather than an error. If you have winamp installed and they're MP3s, you should be able to open and play them in winamp as a test.

As a shared network drive, you should be able to do this from any computer on your network. There are a lot of good articles online about network sharing. I happen to dislike the "simple file sharing" option and disable that in favor of the other option. You'll might want to read about how that works, and how mapping network drives work. Map your network drives to the same letter on all your computers and you can copy your database to all of them and it will work perfectly.

I also have experience using ASIO (though not an external DAC as some others have) so if you have any issues, search the forums here. There have been a lot of good contributions on the asio topic.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:33 pm 

Hi xblkx,

Just 5 min. ago the first sounds pounded from the loudspeakers :twisted:
A track from Alannah Myles album Rockinghorse, quite a bit above normal soundlevels i must say just because i'm very happy indeed.

I deleted all sounddevices from the pc so ASIO just found the sole one, the rDAC.
It works for now, need to tweak i guess because i hear clicking noises and ticks very soft in the backround and not at regular intervals.

Let me know what you did with ASIO, i tried the search for ASIO but nothing, does search works? (@Peter)
In the backround now playing Roger Waters's It's a miracle from Amused to death, even now already having goosebumps although the sound is very sharp especially when Jeff Beck makes his guitar cry out, but who's complaining, i've got music back in the house after 3 months.
Now need to play for at least 100 hours to let things settle and gain warmth and depth.

Almost forgot, need to clean Albumplayer, every album is on my screen 3 times :lol: , so need to wipe the database i presume and load again from the NAS, but is there any shortcut to do so 'cause i can't find a way to do so exept to delete album by album by album......

A very hapy customer! :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next