It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Version 6 Comments and Suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:41 am 

I have been happily using 5.3 for over 2 years, and am currently testing v6 to see if I may want to update. It's taking some time to get used to v6, but for the most part I really like it. I can see that a lot of effort has gone into it.

Good job on the new Music Center skin! It has a nice clean, modern look. The new layout is nice too, but I have some concerns.

It appears that the skin is mainly designed for touch-screen users. Of course it will work with a standard monitor and mouse too, but it doesn't really look right to me. In version 5.3 there were separate skins for touch-screen users and mouse users, so I hope that a "standard" version of the new skin can be done that's optimized for mouse users.

The "toolbars" on the top and bottom of the screen are very wide (tall), probably for touch-screen use. Also, the header area above the grid is quite wide. All together, these are taking up a lot of vertical space, leaving less room for the grid. Also, everything just looks over-sized and spaced apart. I would like to see these bars tightened up. There is a lot more space above and below the icons than is needed.

Another problem is the text underneath the album covers in the grid. The first line of text is a light gray color that's very readable, but any lines of text below that are a dark gray that's very difficult to read against the black background. I would like to have all the text the same light gray color. Also, the disappearing scroll bar/alphabet are too dark and hard to see as well.

The Page Up/Down keys no longer scroll the grid like they did in 5.3. It would be nice if that functionality could be restored.

When viewing album info, an image of the artist is displayed on the left side. Many of the images AP looked up aren't very good, and many are very low resolution. I would much prefer to just leave the previous image there instead (genre or other stock image). Or have the album cover centered vertically with a blurry background (similar to the playback view). Being forced to use these artist images is a huge turnoff for me. Please make this an option that I can disable.

Also, when viewing album info, the album cover could be a bit larger.

When at the Home screen, the "Edit Home Menu" button does not allow me to actually edit anything. It's really just a "More/Less" button that shows all grouping types. I think the icon should be changed (not sure to what), and when you click on it the header should say "All Categories" instead of "My Categories".

When I play an album no matter what view I'm on, after a few seconds of inactivity I suddenly get a "scrolling picture" display with an enlarged album cover. There is no option that I can find to change this behavior! It's kind of like having a screen saver that you can't change or turn off. It's obvious that a lot of work has gone into this and I'm sure a lot of people like it, but please make it optional.

The cover image in playback view would look better if it was centered vertically instead of at the bottom of the screen.

Well, that's about all I can think of for now. Thanks for considering these changes, and keep up the good work.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Version 6 Comments and Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:53 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Thank you for your extensive feedback. It is all noted. Together with all other feedback I will try to improve.

Some quick feedback on items:

In several months I will work on converting the most important skins from V5.3 to V6.

The slide show can be easily disabled from the general page in the preferences. Just fill 0 in the goto sleep field.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Version 6 Comments and Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:43 pm 

Peter van der Burg wrote:
In several months I will work on converting the most important skins from V5.3 to V6

Great. Will that include any standard "mouse" skins, or only touchscreen skins?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg