It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Keyboard do not work on V6?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:43 pm 

Hi, first sorry my bad english.
A wanna now why i cant navigate with my keyboard keys on album player v6?

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Keyboard do not work on V6?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:14 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

With version 6 the focus is shifted much more to touchscreens, keyboard navigation doesn't fit well in this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:30 am 

I mentioned this problem in another post a few weeks ago, and just stumbled onto this post today. I have to say I'm very disappointed in the developer's response.

Clearly there are more touchscreen users than keyboard/mouse users, but I'm sure there are still a lot of paid v5 customers who do not use a touchscreen. It's not right to abandon these customers which is the impression I get here.

So keyboard navigation "doesn't fit well" with touchscreens? What does that mean? If v6 had working keyboard navigation, it would not affect touchscreen users at all.

I have been using v5 for some time, and never imagined that keyboard navigation would be intentionally dropped in a new version. Since this worked fine in v5, how hard would it be to make it work in v6? It's mainly just the Page Up/Down keys and the arrow keys.

What's next? Will the configurable keyboard shortcuts be removed? This is very disturbing. I think that keyboard/mouse users deserve to be supported. All it would take is putting the keyboard navigation back in, and a modified skin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:05 pm 

I'm with you.

"What's next? Will the configurable keyboard shortcuts be removed? This is very disturbing. I think that keyboard/mouse users deserve to be supported. All it would take is putting the keyboard navigation back in, and a modified skin."

Please don't remove this!!!

I use only a touch screen, but i have a Buzzer on my livingroom Table.
I have a USB keyboard elektronic in it. The Buzzer hits F12 vor next track.
Every time i don't like the track i can simply hit this button to skip.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:59 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

With V5.3 in all feedback it was clear that most AP users were touchscreen users. So I focused a lot to highly improve the touch usability. Because f that I had to switch to completely different user interface software which comes with some disadvantages to keyboard users. It is hard to get everything right for everybody.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:14 pm 

Peter van der Burg wrote:
It is hard to get everything right for everybody.

Thanks for the reply, Peter. Frankly, I don't know why it would be hard to "get everything right for everybody". That just doesn't make sense to me.

Obviously you are fully supporting touchscreen users, but there is no reason why you cannot support keyboard users at the same time. Even though the user interface is different, there is no technical reason why you could not restore basic keyboard navigation. That's all it would take, and there would be no affect at all on touchscreen users.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:45 am 
AlbumPlayer Developer

If it would be easy to make everything right for everybody, why we do need elections. We don't have to choose governments and can all drive the same car, use the same phone. But unfortunately everybody is different. There the same amount of opinions as there are users.

I develop this on my own in my extra time. So I have to make choices where to put my time in. I myself doesn't use a touchscreen and never had the need to use keyboard navigation. Just use the mouse. We are all different. But now I know that there are people like keyboard navigation, I can see if there is a possibility to bring this in again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:15 pm 

Peter van der Burg wrote:
If it would be easy to make everything right for everybody, why we do need elections. We don't have to choose governments and can all drive the same car, use the same phone. But unfortunately everybody is different. There the same amount of opinions as there are users.

Sorry, but I have to reply to this. We are only talking about two groups here, touchscreen users and keyboard/mouse users. Restoring keyboard navigation would have no affect on touchscreen functionality, so there is no conflict between these groups. This is not politics.

This is not like forcing everyone to drive the same car either. That of course would limit everyone's choice, but people can still choose to use a touchscreen even if keyboard navigation were restored. Touchscreen users would not even notice the difference.

I do understand that your time is limited and you have to make choices. However, any application that claims to work with a keyboard and mouse should support basic keyboard navigation. That is a simple fact, not an opinion, regardless of whether you personally use this feature or not.

Thanks for considering this request anyway. I appreciate it.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg