It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding more "Subfolders/Layers"
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 am 

Hi, there is one thing i would like to suggest for the future version, and this is the opportunity to have more "subfolders" or "layers" - don't know the right expression, but i'll give you an example, then it is quiet easy to understand:

Now you have all the artists on the first page and when you click you get to their records and within the records are the songs.

But it would be great when there would be the option to add more layers, ie. on the artist page i have a folder called "Radio Plays" (Hörspiele) - and when you click on it you see all the episodes of every radio play, like all episodes of "masters of the universe", "pumuckl" etc... - which is quite confusing - it would be great to have a folder called "masters of the universe" within the folder "radio plays" - and in the folder "masters of the universe" all the episodes - so nothing gets mixed up.

Is that possible? It would also be usefull for music - i would like to have a "Bob Dylan" folder - inside a "Theme Time Radio Hour" folder - and inside that all the different episodes.

It would be really amazing if this is possible.

all the best
Norman

PS: and PLEASE but a FORUM button on your homepage with a direct link to the Forum, thx

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:47 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Actually what you would need is to define a custom grouping method. Now there is Genre, Year, Album Type, Label etc. But you like to have your own, like "Radio Plays" . In fact there is one to use, Archive-ID, in next version I might see to give it also a custom name. But if you fill "masters of the univers" in the archive field for all albums belong to that, the you can see them grouped under "Archive-ID". There is no plan to make multiple folder levels on a deeper level.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:41 pm 

So, it's not possible? But do you really know what i mean?
Now, i have one folder called artist and inside i have a folder for every record - that's it.

And know i would like to have one more folder - which could be displayed on the cover page (inside the artist) with a custom cover but instead of getting to the tracks (when you click on it) you get to another cover page.

It's difficult to discribe, but i hope you know what i mean.

Because know i have all the different artists, like nirvana, bob dylan, pearl jam, .... and inside all their records. But where should i put all the different radio plays? like "alf", "tkkg", "masters of the universe", "sherlock holmes", ...

It didn't look very nice to have all the different radio plays mixed between the music artists. And when i put all the radio plays inside a "radio plays" folder, it looks better put inside the "radio plays" folder it is still very confusing.

With the opportunity of one more folder it would make a BIG difference.

Maybe the possibility to mark a folder (inside albumplayer) as "collection" or "record" could solve the problem. A folder marked as "collection" brings up a record page, and a folder marked as "record" brings up tracks.
So inside an artist folder you could then have folders marked as "records", this are the ones with tracks in it - and folders (also displayed with a cover) marked as "collection" - which instead of showing tracks, brings up a new record page.
You know what i mean? In this case you could have more levels without bigger problems. All you have to do is mark/set a folder either as "collection" or "record" on the edit page.

This would be such a big improvement to the player and it would be so great if this would be possible.

Thank you very much for listening and answering

Norman

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:30 am 
AlbumPlayer Developer

I know you trying hard to explain something, but I think indeed I don't get it. Probably part of the problem is that english is not my native language.

What do you mean with "Radio Plays"? Is that not about music? Are these single tracks? If this is not music, do you have one track per album? And what information you fill in in the Artist field then (track and album)?

You also use the term Folder. The AP doesn't know folders. There is albums and the albums have fields (like artist, genre, release date). The collections you see are groupings based on these fields. The only exceptions are the Custom Collections. Custom collections are a kind of folders where albums are assigned too.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:41 am 

Hi Peter, so what is your native language then? Is it German? Then i can try in German.

So ok, i try again:

In albumplayer is a page with all the artist-buttons - right? And when you click on one of the artist buttons, you get to their records.
Ok? So you click on "artist" - then you see all the "artist-buttons" - and when you click one, you get to the records of this artist.

So far so good.

What i mean is - when you click on an artist button - you get to ANOTHER button - and THEN you get to the records. So basically one more button in between. And this button should not look like a button, instead it should look like a record - so that it fits with the picture.

ie:

Normally it is like that:

Artist - Bob Dylan - Records - Tracks

But it would be great if there would be one more button, like:

Artist - Bob Dylan - THEME TIME RADIO SHOW - Records - Tracks

And the "THEME TIME RADIO SHOW"- Button is on the same page as the other Bob Dylan Records - that's why it should look like a record and not like a button (ie. the artist buttons).

So when you click on "Bob Dylan" you get to the page with all his records AND one of the records is actually a button that leads to another records page.

And a "Radio Play" is for example - "Alf" or "Sherlock Holmes" etc...

So when i click on artist, i would like to see:

Bob Dylan
Pearl Jam
Gratful Dead
RADIO PLAYS
Nirvana

And inside "Radio Plays" there would be buttons for "ALF", "Sherlock Holmes", ... and when you click on "Sherlock Holmes" you get to the Records (Stories) - each with a cover.

Another way would be a Button for "Music" - then you get to the Music Artists, and a Button for "Radio Plays" - then you get to the Radio Plays.

To all the englisch speaking people around, can you help me to explain what i mean? And is "Radio Play" the right word for things like that?

And Peter, thank you very much for hanging on :-))))

all the best
Norman

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:21 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

No please stick to English :) I can read German too but I think we make problems bigger.

As I understand the Radio Play is anything recorded from the radio. Can be music , but can also be something else. Right?

I also asked, in case of Radio Play, what do you fill in the fields of the Artist and Title both I want to know for the album and track. It might be something like this:

Album Artist: "Radio Play"
Album Title: "Sherlock Holmes"
Track Title "Sherlock Episode 1"
Track Title "Sherlock Episode 2"

etc.

Now what I think you should do to achieve what you want is to use the Album Type attribute. The reason is that the within an Artist, the AP can group on Album Type. Album Type is for instance "Studio", "Live", "Bootleg", "Video Clip" but might also be "Radio Play".

So for example above the fields look like:

Album Artist: "Radio Play"
Album Title: "Sherlock Holmes"
Album Type: "Radio Play"
Track Title "Sherlock Episode 1"
Track Title "Sherlock Episode 2"

And for Bob Dylan

Album Artist: "Bob Dylan"
Album Title: "Bringing It All Back Home"
Album Type: "Studio"
Track Title "Subterranean Homesick Blues"
Track Title "She Belongs to Me"

Album Artist: "Bob Dylan"
Album Title: "THEME TIME RADIO SHOW"
Album Type: "Radio Play"
Track Title "THEME TIME RADIO SHOW"

After you applied this Album Type field. You choose for instance Bob Dylan from the artist collection then go to Sort By and choose "Sort by Album Type (Grouped)" . You will see that your Radio Plays are nicely kept together in one group separate from the other album types. I think that is better then just make an extra button to go one more level deeper to see this Radio Plays. It is all nicely organized in one overview.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:36 pm 

Hi Peter, once again, thank you very much for your quick replies, really appreciate it.

Quote:
"You choose for instance Bob Dylan from the artist collection then go to Sort By and choose "Sort by Album Type (Grouped)"

of course, this is a possibility, but it's inconvinient, i think.

"Radio Play" are actually "audiobooks" - something like that - thats the right word now i guess. You know what i mean now. Audio versions of "alf", "knight rider", "star trek", "sherlock holmes", ....

And it has nothing to do with my bob dylan example - it was just that bob dylan (in my case) also needs one more level.
Because there are several records WITHIN "Theme Time Radio Hour", and having all of the theme time radio hour records mixed together with the regular records is quiete confusing.

And when i want to scroll through all of the "theme time radio episodes", i don't want to always click on "sort to" and "choose" ...

i would like to have one "theme time radio" button - and within all of the records.

Another way, at least for the "audiobook" problem, would be a separation between "music disks or music artists or simple "music"... and "audiobooks".

a separated surface or page for audiobooks, so that audiobooks and music records don't get mixed.

But i think we finally know what i mean :D :D :D :D :D

again, thank you very much peter.

Norman

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:48 am 
AlbumPlayer Developer

If you talk about records I assume you mean albums (at least that is what it is called in AP). Right?

I think what you need is the same as with "Radio" albums (which is internet radio stations) you don't want to see them when you browse through albums. So there is a setting to hide Radio albums from other collections. Would that do for Radio Play too. What do you fill in the Album artist field and what in the Album title field in case of Radio Play?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg