It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: File list options - flac / mp3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:01 pm 

I have a mixed collection of .mp3 and .flac files. Is there a way I can list only .mp3 files or only .flac files ?

Regards Jeff

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:13 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Not really. Especially because that is a track thing. AP works album related. You might create 2 custom collections but that is a manual process.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:03 pm 

I ripped probably 80% of my own music. When I do I rip to both flac and mp3. Flac for AP and other computers and mp3 for portable stuff.

I have a dedicated folder for each.
When I want AP to look for files I simply point it to the proper one.

I also have some music that may not have a flac version of for whatever reason. I also have a mp3 only folder that I can point AP to.
This way it can get all of my music without redundantly listing the MP3 folder a second time.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:29 am 

What I would like to see as a future feature in AP, which would be album-related, is to detect albums that are present in both MP3 and FLAC, and show only the best copy. Or just produce a warning so I can deal with it manually.
Currently it will search for both, and they will be combined into one album with double the correct number of tracks, but not easily identified. You must manually use the collection editor and delete the MP3 tracks from the album.

Sometimes I might have an MP3 copy of something, and then get a FLAC or WAV version which I'd prefer to replace it with, and it is a lot of manual work to update it, which can be lost again if I rescan the music library. My most common scenario is a band who sells a pre-order. You buy it now, get an immediate MP3 download that is put directly into AP, and then a CD comes in the mail a month or two later.

I share your frustration. I have a number of these duplicates, and there is no automated method of finding or preventing them. I usually find them at parties, and then lose my note that I wrote to myself about fixing it.

Best practice at the moment, rip everything to flac, scan only the flac file area (I keep them in a separate network drive) and if you replace MP3 copies with FLAC, delete the MP3 album and files, and re-scan for the flac version. You can use the Collection Editor, sort albums by number of tracks -- any even number above 14 is suspicious and may be a duplicated MP3+FLAC album (most albums don't have 22+ tracks).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: FLAC vs MP3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:03 pm 

I am just like many others with a ever increasing collection of FLAC and MP3's.
I have been editing the 'comment' field of the tracks TAG to identify between them eg. 'FLAC Album' 'MP3 Album' 'MP3 Single' ect.
This makes it easy to keep tabs on the duplicates find the MP3 albums that need to be moved out of the source folder.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg