It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Disable usb mouse during startup Party mode
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:45 pm 

I am using the Party mode of AP and don't want other people to get into the computer. They have only the mouse to interact and no keyboard. So I have been looking for a safe and simple way to block access to the system during startup of the computer. I have tried several security programmas but they were all way to complex and did not do the job as I wanted it to.
I found a small MS commandline util (very old but very effective) that does that job nicely. It's called DevCon and can be used to disable the USB mouse upto the moment that AP has started up completely and Party mode is active and AP itself blocks further access. (use /W in batch to timeout) So even during the startup of the system it is not possible to quickly click some icon or folder on the desktop and get into the system.
I start DevCon automaticaly from within the autostart folder. The util can be freely downloaded from Microsoft at : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272 (Dutch page) or else search for DevCon. It's btw possible to shut down every other device you want, like a printer or a modem or...

have fun
John

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg