It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Multiple AP Databases
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:09 pm 

Having developed a very large collection of albums I would like to split the AP database into three separate instances. Ideally I would have one for jazz, one for classical, and one for everything else. How may I implement three independent AP databases on the same computer and select among them? I would like to avoid having to switch between separate users on my PC to do this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:47 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

You have to copy your whole database directory (probably c:\AlbumPlayerData) to 2 different locations, so you end up with three databases. To use a different database then the default you should use the commandline option -userdatapath . You can add a commandline option to a shortcut. So then you can start AP separately for each database, with 3 different shortcuts.

An example commandline option is:

-userdatapath:"c:\mySecondDatabase\"

Last thing to do is start each instance separately and delete from it what is not needed. After deleting many album also use "Compress Database" in preferences menu, to free up space in database.

IMPORTANT: Also keep a BACKUP of your FULL DATABASE, so if you make mistake with deleting, you can go back to the whole thing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:23 pm 

Cool that is good to know. But I have to ask VV, why do you need multiple databases? Couldn't you do pretty much what you want with a few custom collections? At least then you could just switch between them on the fly while the App is running

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:38 pm 

There are actually many reasons that I want to have multiple databases. Due to my ambitious plans, the overall scale of the collections in each genre will be very large. I plan to include 10's of thousands of albums plus other releases in each database. The disc capacity in each database will be many terabytes each. I am storing sound in full resolution .wav files as well as high resolution image data for all artwork, covers, labels etc. This is compounded by redundant disc storage of all data for backup both locally and off-site for disaster recovery. Managing these databases would be difficult if I did not split them. Also AP initialization at application startup is a serial function of the total size and can be mitigated by a database split. And the last time that I corresponded with Peter about AP capacity we thought this goal was beyond the high water mark of any previous collection size.

The reasons go beyond AP specific concerns. I have a system of perl scripts that I wrote which use other data that I enter into the database for generating displays of cross reference lists by song title, artist, writer, label, release date, original media type, etc. It is easier for me to manage the data for these scripts in a database divided.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Multiple AP Databases
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:33 pm 

I have just worked out how to do this :) I have been looking at it for years but I've eventually found the time to sit down and work it out. It is a little bit tricky but so worth it for me.

Its fantastic and has now given me a whole new way to use album player thank you. I have a small solid state hard drive with limited storage. However with this information I can have two shortcuts on my desktop one to my small storage and the other to when I'm at home and on my network drive. Cant thank you enough this is brilliant!

This is one of the best pieces of software I have ever used and has stood the test of time, I am so glad I bought it.

:) :) :) :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:16 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Good to hear you find the solution. It is a bit tricky indeed. If I ever find time I want it to build it less tricky ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:43 pm 

I have been running 4 databases for a couple of years without any problems.

Here's a link to my original post on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3404

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:48 pm 

Hello, just starting out with AP so I apologize in advance for repeating questions that have been answered elsewhere in the forum.
I have the same issue with wanting to use 3 or 4 databases for my jukebox.
Was going to have the computer boot right into AP to reduce people's tendencies to muck about. But, if I understand correctly, in this solution, It will boot to the desktop which will have 3 or 4 shortcuts to start AP, each one using a different database.
At this point, there is no solution to boot into the main menu of AP and be able to select the database from there?

Cheers

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg