It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Change sequence of albums
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:04 pm 

I have added the release years of all albums to have them sorted. That works fine as long as the years are different. But when two or more albums are released in the same year, the sorting is done alphabetically by title within the year. How can I change that sequence in the right chronological way?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Change sequence of albums
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:20 am 

RockArt wrote:
I have added the release years of all albums to have them sorted. That works fine as long as the years are different. But when two or more albums are released in the same year, the sorting is done alphabetically by title within the year. How can I change that sequence in the right chronological way?

The way around that is to not only put the release year to the album but the time of the year it was actually released such as the day and the month as well. I even add the record label and it's catalogue number to mine as well. Now you can generally find this information on sites such as Wikipedia/Rate Your Music and Discogs But if you cannot find the day or the month on some of the albums that were released in the same year. What I do is look at which album came out first in that year and roughly guess the day and the month.

Hope that helps.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Change sequence of albums
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:35 pm 

Thanks Lee!

In the mean time I have found out that it is possible to edit the database with Microsoft Access and apply a sequence number in the release date field after the "." which is probably reserved for the time of day.

<ReleaseDate>25934.000001</ReleaseDate>
<ReleaseDate>25934.000002</ReleaseDate>

In this case only the year will be shown but the albums are displayed in the right sequence.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg