It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Router Corrupting Every Album Directory
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:21 pm 

A major benefit of AlbumPlayer is that it NEVER does anything to change or modify your music collection, unless you specifically direct it to do so via the Export command. There is discussion on this forum about iTunes scrambling collections - but nothing about external hardware doing so.

I recently replaced a D-Link DIR-845 Router with a DIR-868L, because of AC1750, and particularly usb3 capability. All music files (around 3,500 albums) are on a WD MyPassport 3TB usb3 drive, which was then attached to the router's usb3 port.

Several days later I noticed new files on the music drive with the name .metadata. Further investigation showed that all 3,500 album directories had been corrupted by adding yet another sub directory called .metadata, and within that were five more files. These files had names like file_list.document.name.ascent where the term document was replaced by the terms movie, music, or photo.

Upon contacting D-Link support, I was advised that these files were all created by their router's
'Shareport Utility', it could not be turned off, and if those files were deleted then Shareport would re-create them. They also have no tool to remove these files. Unfortunately, I had run several days of backups before noticing the problem, so every backup file was corrupted as well.

The only way to avoid Shareport corrupting all your music is to not attach directly to the router via usb. If you connect via a NAS that is attached to the routers gigabit ports, then you are safe. One additional note, although not mentioned on the router packaging - it only officially supports 1TB on that usb3 port, but still managed to corrupt everything on the drive.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg