It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can't Add Track Titles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:27 pm 

I have a Mixed CD that contains tracks from several other CDs. It doesn't have the track titles, so naturally, when I rip the CD there aren't any titles listed in the Album Editor or Playlist.

I added the track titles manually through the Album Editor and to the actual files in the Folder on the HD. However, when I try to play the "album", AP can't find the files. When I browse to the folder and select it then select Find and Add, it shows as having found 0 files.

What should I do to force it to pick up the Track Titles?

Thanks for your time,
Miguel

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Can't Add Track Titles
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:02 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

There are several things going on, but first I like to know some more. You write: "I added the track titles manually ... .. ... to the actual files in the Folder on the HD" What do you mean exactly here. You changed the file names? Or did a tagger change the file names? Because that might be the reason the tracks are not found anymore. Please answer this first then I can further advise/troubleshoot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:57 pm 

What I meant by "manually" is that since the track titles weren't added automatically during the ripping process, I added the titles "manually" ie. typed in the track titles, by adding them track by track, into the Track Attributes tab, after the disc was ripped.

As I wrote, this was a mixed disc, which didn't have the track titles added to the recording process.

I hope that's clarification enough.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:19 am 
AlbumPlayer Developer

It was a bit confusing because you wrote you also changed the actual files. Anyway if the files are not changed, then it is strange the AP cannot find the files. If you right click on an album you can choose to go to the album directory. Please check if the files are there where AP expects them to find. In the album editor you can see also the filenames of the track. Please check if these names are the same as in the file directory.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:10 pm 

Hi:

Yes I did change the file names... in both places. Naturally I would want the file name to appear correctly in AP as well as the actual file in the actual folder on the Hard Drive. Does that change anything?

In the past, I found that if I had to go through this exercise and added the file name only in AP, it didn't update the ACTUAL file name in the ACTUAL folder on the Hard Drive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:50 am 

That is correct. AP does not ever modify the files in your music library. This is an important design decision and a great feature.

I think I now understand what you're doing. You made a CD that is a unique disc so when the album is looked up online, it doesn't find the track information. What you should do in this case is:

- rip the disc to your hard drive. I personally like Exact Audio Copy, because you can name the tracks in there, and if set up properly, it will copy the tracks with the correct names you filled in to your drive. Or rename them afterward.

- Now check the filenames. Make corrections as needed. If they were not named, name them now, BEFORE you try to get them into AP.

- Then have AP Scan Disk for New Tracks. Tell it to use Directory and File names for the lookup. Now it will read the title you gave the disc, and the artist (or Various Artists if you named it that), and all the track titles correctly. Don't put them in AP manually and then rip the disc. Just rip the disc, fix the names, and let AP bring them in.

If you already have albums that you did another way (the ones that aren't playing correctly), delete them from the Collection Editor, check the filenames on disc, and do another Scan Disk for New Tracks. If you have the naming convention consistent and the import settings correct, you'll then have your album in AP and you will not need to add anything manually.

I use this structure:
N:\FLAC3\genre\artist\albumtitle\01-tracktitle.flac
Scan from N:\FLAC3 (or more specifically if you prefer) and use these settings:
Artist and Titles on separate directory levels.
%Skip%-%TrackTitle%.%Skip%
If you have artist names in the filenames, your settings will be different.

But you definitely do not want to do twice the work, by adding something to AP first and then renaming files on the drive. Get your albums and tracks correct first, then let AP add them. They will work then.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:11 am 

Thank you. I will try this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:57 am 

When you reinstall, then it might be good to start with fresh settings. To do so delete (or just rename) albumplayer.ini . You find albumplayer.ini in c:\albumplayerdata

LG &
health

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:24 am 

I finally found some time to try this again. OK, so since the album was already in the database, I began by navigating to the Collection Editor and removing the album from there.

I then went to the folder on the Hard Drive, containing the album and renamed the files there.

I then launched AP again, selected "Scan Disk For New Track Files", Browsed to the specific Artist folder containing the Album folder, selected Scan Recursive>Next (was warned that Album.apf file(s) found containing previously gathered information by the AlbumPlayer. Do you want to use this information - Yes / No? I selected No and was presented with the New Files Found dialogue box. I actually tried with and without Recursive. BTW, why does Recursive from the root folder ie. Music, bring back albums that I deleted.... months or years ago?

As you suggested (and would've anyway, as it is also my preference) I selected Artist and Title on separate directory levels, and the four radio buttons below v.v. Second Step, are all selected.

I select OK, AP brings in the album... but no track titles!!! :-(

Am I doing anything wrong and do you have any further suggestions?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:29 am 
AlbumPlayer Developer

If the AP bring back albums that you delete long time ago, and you don't use the .apf files, then this data must be on your drive. Please check with the search function in your file explorer. If you only have a album without tracks, it might be there are empty folders on your system.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:04 pm 

Thanks. Although I "knew" it, I wasn't making the connection between removing an album via Album Players - Collection Editor and actually removing it from the HD. I haven't yet returned to the specific CD I was having trouble with, but I'll try it again, and let you know.

Again, thanks for your time,
Miguel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:57 pm 

I never managed to resolve this problem, so I'm back trying to find a solution.

OK, two related issues, however, in each example, I'm using Album Player's built-in feature for ripping CDs via the Extract Tracks in the Album Editor.

The FIRST is that some commercially produced CDs, don't rip as expected ie. they don't import the Song Title. Based on your previous suggestions:
I removed / deleted the CD from AP via the Collection Editor
Added the File Names manually via Windows Explorer
Select Scan Disc For New Track Files
Navigate to and select the folder via Windows Explorer containing the Track Files and ensure to deselect the prompt to "apply" previously gathered information. (I don't understand why or how, since I deleted the album, there would be any traces of previously gathered details, and that might be at the root of the problem).
Once imported I navigate to the Disc and select Edit to confirm the information for the disc.

What I'm finding is that the Track Title appears in the corresponding Column but doesn't appear in the column labelled Song. Which means that it doesn't display in the Playlist area nor in the list of songs when first double clicking the album.

What might be the cause of this?

The Second and related issue involves a commercially produced CD, in which there was an error made with regard to song titles, when they entered the metadata. I burned the CD, discovered the error and, as before, removed / deleted the CD from AP via the Collection Editor.
Once again, I returned to the CD location in Windows Explorer and corrected the File Name(s) manually via Windows Explorer.
As before, I select Scan Disc For New Track Files and return to Edit the Album information, only to find that the CORRECT File Name appears in the File Name Column, but the previous INCORRECT Song Title persists in the Song Column and is what displays in the PlayList.

In both examples, the Song is what appears when first double clicking the album, before selecting Edit, which means that it will either be blank or display the incorrect title.

I appreciate your time to try and find an explanation and solution to this and please don't hesitate to ask for clarification. I've done my best to be precise, but I know that some things get lost in translation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:03 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

Just focusing on the first issue first. First to say it asks to use previously gathered information because there is an album.apf file in your music folder. You write "What I'm finding is that the Track Title appears in the corresponding Column but doesn't appear in the column labelled Song." If it doesn't show in the column "Song", In which column does it show? A screenshot might help a lot, you can also email the issue if you like.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:33 pm 

What I meant, was that it showed up in the File Name column but not in the Song column.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:28 pm 
AlbumPlayer Developer

If the track titles contain the proper names, you can tell the AP to use the track titles as song title. You specify this after "scan disc for track files", but you can also do this from the album editor.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg Go to page 1, 2  Next