It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 7 "Problem writing file: Message: Access is den
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:45 pm 

First, I love AlbumPlayer, but now I have a problem.

I built a new PC with Windows 7 Ultimate.

All my music is located locally on a separate drive d:\music\

I copied c:\program files\albumplayer and c:\albumplayerdata from the old machine to the new machine, then installed albumplayer on top (put in serial # etc.)

Now when starting AlbumPlayer or when changing tracks a window pops up saying "Problem writing file: Message: Access is denied." The last track played doesn't clear on the playlist until I click OK on the message.

I've used this process to upgrade machines and move AlbumPlayer in the past, including to Windows 7 without a problem, and now I'm baffled. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks

Last edited by Patrick Herbert on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:14 pm 
AlbumPlayer Graphics Designer

Hi, it's probably a problem of user rights. Try to run albumplayer.exe as administrator.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Fixed by turning off UAC (User Account Control)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:25 pm 

It took some trial and error but I figured out what was wrong.

I am an administrator on the PC.

I had turned Windows 7 User Account Control down one notch, and was trying to live with it in the interest of security. AlbumPlayer was throwing that error. On a hunch I turned UAC all the way off, rebooted, and now everything is working fine.

As I say I have not had this problem with Win 7 in the past, but now I'm guessing I turned UAC all the way off on each machine without even thinking about it.

Am I the only one who has encountered this?

Does AlbumPlayer know how to handle UAC being on?

Thanks again.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:17 am 
AlbumPlayer Developer

When copying the music and/or the albumplayer database, you might have copied also the old access rights. Now it seems you dont have rights to write in your music directory and/or albumplayer database directory as a user. You should fix the user rights for these directories.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:29 am 

User rights can be very confusing. The easiest solution: backup the datatabase, remove albumplayer, install albumplayer, restore database.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:34 am 

I did do a complete reinstall, that didn't help. Again, what fixed it was turning off UAC.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:29 am 

I'm using Albumplayer with the UAC on. I still think there are some user rights hidden somewhere.

Try the following:
1. backup the database
2. copy the backup to a different folder
3. deinstall albumplayer
4. delete the albumplayer folder completely
5. install albumplayer
6. start albumplayer
7.1 errors? I'm at a loss, goto 10
7.2 no errors? restore the old database
8.1 still no errors? you are done, goto 10
8.2 errors now? there are some user rights in database files, try copying them via a FAT32 filesystem to get rid of them.
9 whether it works or not, I'm out of ideas for now
10 the end

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:57 pm 

While I don't use anything newer than XP, I do run AP on several versions of XP and 2000 as a limited user and I have no problems once the user file and directory rights are set up correctly in the operating system.

You do need to grant full (read/write/delete) rights to all the users needing to run AP, recursively for the directories where AP stores information. In my case this is
C:\albumplayerdata (database location)
C:\program files\albumplayer (install directory)

Alternatively, but with a bit more complexity, you could grant such rights to a group, and put all the users into that group, but this is usually unnecessary because few end users regularly add new users to their computers.

If you copied your database backup into a new folder, you'll need to make sure all the user(s), or AP itself if you can specify access rights to a program, have full access to that directory. Based on the description of your problem, it seems to me the default access to a new folder is not full access, which makes sense, and also explains why uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help. You can test your access rights by trying to copy and paste a junk file there and then deleting it. If you can't do this while logged in as that user, you won't be able to get AP working either.

Note: only read access is required for the location of the music library, which in my case is on a different drive. Setting read-only access to the library for those users who play music (rather than manage it) is a good idea to prevent any accidental changes to the collection externally to AP, which never touches the collection itself.

These locations may be different for windows 7. If you do not have the rights set correctly, it won't work, even if you are a using an administrative account. If you need to learn how to set rights, google it. In XP and 2000 it's in the sharing and security options when you right-click a folder in windows explorer.

blk

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:16 am 

As I have discovered if your music source is not writable by the user running AlbumPlayer:
You will get errors - problem writing file access is denied - on every change of tracks.
You need to disable: Preferences: Album Info: Export album information to Dir: Uncheck Automatically export info file

This took three eights of forever to track down.

As a bug report, that error should be much more specific telling the user what write function failed.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: Jan, xblkx, Peter van der Burg